Permit Extension

Applying for a permit extension is important for ongoing compliance. 

We monitor the expiry dates of the permits of your employees as well as the type of permit they hold, as the moment and the procedure of applying for an extension depends on the type of permit. 

We can submit all immigration extension applications on your behalf. All parties involved will be kept informed during the entire application process. Let us unburden you from all the to-do’s and guarantee ongoing compliance for your company.

For Highly Skilled Migrants

If you are a Highly Skilled Migrant and your assignment is extended or your residence card expires, we recommend submitting a permit extension application 3 months before the expiry date. This application should be registered at the IND latest 1 day before the expiration date.

When your current residence permit card has expired (and you are awaiting your new residence permit card) there may be restrictions on your freedom to travel. You may need a return visa to re-enter the Netherlands and/or you would need to apply for a Schengen Visa if you are traveling within the Schengen area. Please ask your Settle Service contact person for personal advice!

If your assignment ends, your employer should inform the IND within 4 weeks after your last working day. Therefore, it is important to contact your HR department and your Settle Service contact person when this situation occurs. The IND can impose a fine when a change has not been reported in time and you could face restrictions in the future when traveling to Schengen countries. We can assist with your departure.

For Intra Corporate Transferees (ICT)

The maximum duration of the ICT permit is 3 years for assignees and 1 year for trainees. It is possible for ICT assignees who have resided and worked in the Netherlands (EU) for almost 3 years to change their purpose of stay into a highly skilled migrant status.

After the IND has registered your application, they have 3 months to make a decision. You are allowed to continue to work and live here, awaiting this decision. Again, should your current residence permit expire during the application period this may mean restrictions in your freedom to travel in the Schengen countries and to/from the Netherlands. This depends on your nationality. Please keep this in mind and make proper arrangements such as an applicable visa. We can provide you with further information when this situation applies to you.

You may need to visit an IND office after your application has been registered by the IND, for (new) biometric details (fingerprints and a photo). This needs to happen for sure if your appearance has changed since you have last visited them.

UK citizens in the Netherlands: apply for your permit!

Now that the United Kingdom has left the EU UK citizens need a residence permit to legally reside in the Netherlands. There are about 45.000 UK nationals who live in the Netherlands. And this number is growing as Dutch statistics […]

Read on

Hire highly skilled migrant as a startup company – PILOT!

Starting June 1, a four-year pilot has started that makes it possible to hire a highly skilled migrant (non-EU employee) for startup companies. The government of the Netherlands actively encourages startup companies to establish themselves in the Netherlands. Dutch immigration […]

Read on

A relocation to the Netherlands

Background of the relocation   Chukwunasa and his wife lived in Lagos, Nigeria and moved to Amsterdam in April 2021. Chukwunasa accepted a job in Amsterdam and was very excited to move. This article is about their relocation. First step; the immigration […]

Read on
  • EURA 2008-2016
  • Worldwide ERC
  • ARPN
  • EURA