Working from abroad with a Dutch residence permit

The trend of temporarily working from abroad is definitely there. As an employer you can decide on whether and how to facilitate this for your employees. It might be a good idea to make agreements with your employee in advance.

Subjects to think about and to discuss

When your non EU employee wants to work from abroad there are basic things that you best discuss, like:

  • Period and duration: general guidelines on how long your employees can work from abroad. Planning of meetings, etc.
  • Destination: guidelines on time differences and how this can impact/ affect the work.
  • Accessibility: is there reliable internet connection and is the electricity network stable?
  • Working days: let the employee inform colleagues and clients on working times.

Working from abroad with a Dutch residence permit

Depending on the country where your employee would like to work remotely, visa requirements might be applicable. A number of countries know procedures for a remote working visa.

A non EU employee can travel for max. 90 out of 180 days within the Schengen area. However, this does not mean that the employee may work! We recommend checking whether there are any extra conditions for working remotely in another Schengen area, as the relevant Member State’s national laws may be applicable.

Your employee must fullfil all the requirements for their residence permit at any time. One of the requirements is that your employee keeps the main residence in the Netherlands. In that light it is important that your employee is officially registered on a address in the Netherlands. An employee who holds a residence permit as a highly skilled migrant can immigration wise work maximumally 8 out of 12 months from abroad. Separate periods will be added up.

Indicators for other residence

As mentioned above, in most cases it’s important that your non EU employees stays registered in the Netherlands. Circumstances that could implicate that the main residence has been moved:

  • Employee deregistered from the Tax Authority (in Dutch: Belastingdienst).
  • The pension rights were bought off.
  • Employee cancelled bank account.
  • Employee deregistered from town hall.
  • Employee has let or sublet their house.

Working from abroad and tax

Not only the immigration part is important. Please do also always check on tax consequences!

Tax regulations differs per country.  Your employee could request an A1-certificate, which proves the employee falls under the social security system of the Netherlands. An A1-certificate can be requested from the Social Insurance Bank (in Dutch: Sociale Verzekeringsbank, SVB). The certificate will only be issued for working within the EU/EEA or in a treaty country.

More info

If you have any questions regarding working remotely with a Dutch residence permit, do not hesitate to contact us at

Navigating the Dutch Healthcare Insurance System

Introduction The Netherlands is globally recognized for its high-quality healthcare system, accessible to all residents and citizens. At the heart of this laudable system is Dutch healthcare insurance, designed to provide everyone with necessary medical care without causing financial strain. […]

Read on

AI explored; Automated Resume Screening

The use of AI in HR and global recruiting enables automated resume screening, which saves time and resources. Benefits include increased efficiency, faster candidate evaluation, and reduced human bias. However, risks involve potential algorithmic bias and overlooking valuable candidates. Balancing […]

Read on

AI explored; Pro’s and Cons of AI for HR

AI is a trending topic in the past months. Logical, as AI seems to have many benefits, also in the field of HR. In the coming weeks we will explore the pro’s and cons of AI for HR. Pro’s of […]

Read on
  • EURA 2008-2016
  • Worldwide ERC
  • ARPN
  • EURA